<<<Return to Self-Reliance

<<<Return to Home

This page contains an introduction to and information about liberty through self-reliance.


self-reliance and sustainability

As the risk of crises grows in the 21st century, so too does the importance of the increased self-reliance. Self-reliance tools communities, families and individuals to respond effectively to the unexpected and maintain integrity and liberty in the face of dramatically changing natural and societal circumstances.

Healthy ecosystems and environments are necessary to the survival of humans and other organisms. Healthy human political, institutional and social systems are also essential to the health of our rain-forests and oceans. Environmental issues are just as problematic for us as they are for other the rest of the ecosystem. The less ecological resilience we have, the less personal resilience individuals and communities have.        

Not surprisingly, self-reliance effectively enhances ecological sustainability and the capacity of other systems and organisms to endure. Before the industrial revolution, 80% of US population worked directly or indirectly in agriculture and 20% did not; interceded only minimally by technology and industry. After the industrial revolution, 20% worked in agriculture and 80% did not. Today only 1 or 2% are directly involved in agriculture while the other 98% live highly specialized, fragmented lives completely dependent on industrial processes for the survival of their families and endurance of their communities. These industrial processes are not only correlated with environmental degradation, overconsumption, population growth and an addiction to abstract economic growth. In other words, they have decreased our self-reliance and sustainability. This has amounted to heightened state of dependency on big agriculture, and big government and a decrease in the individuals capacity to maintain integrity and liberty in the face of institutional and systemic abuse.                                   

These same processes have also given rise to a number of tools and resources that can dramatically enhance self-reliance  if incorporated. Permaculture systems, simple living architecture and design processes, green technologies, renewable energy, water collection systems, recycling and up-cycling systems, ethical consumerism tools and resources, sustainable modes of travel, 3d printers, long term storage food, water filtration, sustainable sewage and grey water systems, atmospheric water generators, desalination systems, hunting, fishing, sustainable agriculture tools, and the list goes on.

Facts about self-reliance & sustainability

1. The Adelphi University Center for Health Innovation poll revealed that 48 percent of US adults lack emergency supplies for use in the event of catastrophes.

2. More than 53 percent of Americans do not have a three-day supply of nonperishable food and water in their home, those surveyed believe they can survive in their homes for an average of 16 days in the event of a disaster.

3. The poll also revealed that 55 percent of Americans think they can rely on local authorities to come to their rescue when disaster strikes.

4. A large study has found that up to one half of all plants and animals species on dry land could face extinction by the year 2050 due to climate change. According to the World Resources Institute, 100 species die each day due to tropical deforestation.

5. Some scientists believe that at the current rate of resource depletion, the Earth will become limited to sustaining only about 2 billion humans by the year 2100. Currently there are over 6.7 billion lives on the earth to support, and of these nearly 15 million children die each year of malnutrition and starvation. In the U.S., one third of the population is overweight and spends approximately $35 billion to cure this “disease”. $20 billion is all that would be necessary to feed every single malnourished nation.

6. The typical U.S. Home uses no less than about 300 gallons of water every single day. Many people around the world have to travel miles just to carry back 5 gallons to use for an entire family.