This page contains tools and resources for enhancing liberty through gaining energy independence.
Solar & wind
Interactive maps and calculators
nrel Solar Prospector
"The Solar Prospector is a mapping and analysis tool designed to provide access to geospatial data relevant to the solar industry in general and for the sitting of utility-scale solar plants in particular. The application provides easy access to solar resource, land ownership, environmental, administrative and infrastructural data to help assess solar development potential within the United States.
The U.S. Department of Energy provides 30-meter (m) height, high-resolution wind resource maps for the United States. Businesses, farms, and homeowners use residential-scale wind resource maps to identify wind sites that may be appropriate for small-scale wind projects.
Solar and Wind Calculator
Solar-Estimate has a free solar and wind power estimator that will estimate the size and cost to install an energy system where you live based on solar and wind data available. It also provides a financial analysis based upon energy bill savings you can expect and the net system cost, after tax credits and other incentives are applied for your area. It is just an estimate though. they can connect you with local installers etc...
Info and Projects
Altenergy is an unorganized group of alt energy aficionados who have collated and authored information on developments in the field of alternative energy sources in the North America, Europe and Australia including information on zeropoint energy and cold fusion developments .
Build it Solar
Build It Solar has over 500 free solar projects as well as resources, how-to's, do it yourselfs and lists of material suppliers.
Suppliers and Manufacturers
Solar Direct is a big supplier of energy independence tools and resources including Solar Energy Products, Systems, designs, Green Building Products, Wind Energy Systems, Generators - etc...
The Windpower Directory is an advanced online directory providing a one-stop shop for sourcing all things wind. They list over 4,500 suppliers across the globe.
ENF Solar is a definitive directory of solar companies and products. Information is checked, categorised and connected. This site features "a company directory profiling 24,099 solar manufacturers, sellers and solar panel installers; and a product directory presenting 44,103 products’ datasheets and pictures.
solar and wind on Amazon
Solar and wind power kits are abound on Amazon.com. Study closely to learn which is best for your needs. Amazon you can find new AND used systems for energy independence on a budget.
K-Tor Hand Generator
- 10 Watts 120 Volts Standard 120 volt ac receptacle, plug in your charger, crank and charge up your device, using an ac outlet insures long term compatibility in the future with all portable electronics including those not yet developed as all products current and in the future will be designed to be charged from a wall outlet
- Capable of charging all cell phones including all Apple products, it can charge a very wide range of portable devices now and on the future.
- Can be used anywhere in the world, with a simple mechanical plug adapter for plugs from countries using other power standards including 220V
- Very Sturdy construction from advanced polycarbonate plastic with thick wall construction for high strength and long life
- Tested to bring any dead cell back to life in minutes and charges at the same rate as plugging in a wall outlet
K-Tor Foot Pedal
- Pedal Generator with 120 Volt 20 Watt output
- Folds to small size, easily protable and to set up
- easy to pedal for long periods of time, uses standard bike pedals
- Can be screwed down for stable operation
- Charge all portable electronics directly, laptops thru external battery and other appliance through 12 volt battery
Human Powered and hybrid transportation
Organic Transit builds by hand in the United States a solar and pedal-powered hybrid tricycle called The Elf. It is described as the “most efficient vehicle on the planet”, is available in one, two and three seater models, and according to their website it gets the equivalent of 1800 miles per gallon! It is legally considered a bicycle, so it can be used on bike paths, parks and sidewalks and requires no gas, license, registration or insurance.
The wave electric bike
The Wave Electric bike is the “world’s most affordable electric bike.” It reaches s up to speeds of 28 MPH. A single charge will go >50 miles. The Wave eBike allows riders to switch between electric, hybrid or manual, without having to purchase multiple bikes,” says founder Aaron Brady. It is 100% street legal (except in New York City, where electric bikes and scooters are not street legal). The Wave eBike’s standard 48-volt, 750-watt hub motor reportedly requires no maintenance.
energy independent products
In 2013 the company WeWi Telecommunications Inc. introduced SOL, "the world’s first laptop that runs entirely by the power of the sun. Entirely self-sustained, rugged and affordable, the mobile device is finding high demand in Africa, Middle East, South America and Central America."